Moveable coops are not quite the same as mobile ones. A moveable coop can be picked up and moved by a couple of people, while mobile shedding usually comes with wheels and can be moved about by one person. They are also known as chicken tractors.
So rather than talk about mini coops that CAN be moved, let's have a look at the ones on WHEELS!
There are many benefits in having a mobile coop.
Other than using a mobile coop as their main shed, they are also excellent for taking to a friends place for the weekend or can be used a quarantine coop or for breeding .
Most people instantly think of the A-frame that can be knocked up over the weekend by very crafty people. But if you are not the handyman and just need a mobile coop delivered ASAP, then here are a few good ones to try:
PRICES CORRECT AT TIME OF PUBLICATION - July 2017
Omlet Eglu Go Up Coop
Wheels are optional and are able to be purchased separately. Wheels are $100.
The 3m run option is the best option for this style.
With wheels it will retail for $848.00 plus delivery.
- The bottom allows direct assess to the ground without restriction, thus allowing dust bathing.
- The wire mesh extends outward to deter predators from digging underneath.
- The mesh will not prevent vermin from getting in.
- There is a larger coop option available for more chickens.
- Made entirely from plastic, it helps to prevent mite infestations and makes cleaning a breeze!
- Hens perch directly onto the plastic grate floor. No roosting rails.
- Comes with a feeder and tarp for run.
- Rear access door.
PERSONAL NOTE: I own one of these without wheels and can easily move it about my yard, with or without assistance. Unclipping the run from the Eglu is necessary if moving it by oneself. If you have a helper, they can lift the run rather than unclip.
Royal Rooster Chicken Castle Deluxe
Wheels are optional and can be purchased separately. Wheels are $50.
With wheels and fox proof floor it will retail for $795.00 plus delivery.
- The bottom is fully meshed, allowing for grass to come through, but not for dust bathing. (Optional - $50)
- There are no doors internally to protect hens from the weather, so the position of the coop according to the wind is very important.
- Optional external nesting boxes are $170 extra.
- Colorbond is an extra $50 with plain galvanized as the cheapest option.
- Mesh floor upstairs - poo will drop through to ground. (Do not place water source beneath this level)
- You can make alterations to this design with installing an internal wall weather shields and add a solid floor for an extra $50.
- Roosting rails included.
- Rear access door.
McCallum Made Standard Chicken Tractor
Price will vary according to your location. $729 - $879 (eg. Adelaide $779)
IMPORTANT: You will need to pick up your order from the freight company in your capital city.
(e.g. Findon Rd, Kidman Park, Adelaide)
- There are many different sizes available with or without wheels. Larger and smaller available.
- Dine-A-Chook accessories are also available through their website.
- NO internal upper story floor, only roosting rails and nesting box containers.
- Chicken poo is able to be deposited directly onto the ground, enabling natural ground fertilisation as the coop is moved around.
- No need to clean with this design.
- Hens are fully protected from the elements - although no vents are installed to regulate summer time air flow.
- Fox proof floor is option in the smallest version for only $29. Options for larger sheds is not indicated.
Please keep your mobile coop in the shade during hot days. Most of these coop designs do not have ventilation options other than being open internally.
Move them throughout the day to protect the poultry from the elements and to utilise the coop for maximum benefit - keeping down the grass and keeping it fertilised.
Also makes for happy hens to find new ground and bugs to eat while they stay safe from predators.
If you know of any other mobile chicken coop company in Australia that sells nation wide, please let us know.