And its not easy because...every single rooster owner who calls/emails me want their boys to go to "a good home where they will not be eaten."
"By about 5 or 6 months of age, your boy will have found the volume control on his voice, frequently trying out level 11!"
There is no one place to send your cockerels/roosters and drakes away to. I'm sorry.
The RSPCA does not like to receive any roosters.
When I DO hear of a sanctuary that OCCASIONALLY takes a couple, and I pass the information on, they soon become inundated with unwanted roosters. And they have a right to be angry - as I offer ideas in strictest confidence - BUT the word always gets out.
Why does it make sanctuaries angry to have so many roosters dumped on them?
- The sound of 20+ roosters is a lot to live with
- Roosters in their sexual prime ATTACK
- Most people do not visit a sanctuary to find a rooster
- Roosters will seek out the sanctuary hens and mate with them to make a even heavier burden on feed costs for extra new birds to feed.
- They also wish that people who hatch would learn to take responsibility for their choice to hatch - always assume 50/50 in gender hatch rate. You need your plan in place BEFORE starting a hatching program.
How do you find these places?
- Even though a sanctuary you know of may not be taking any more roosters, ask if they know of any other sanctuaries you could call.
- Facebook groups are also incredibly valuable. Post a question in a local poultry group page - someone always seems to come forward with an offer. BE PREPARED TO DRIVE.
THREE (3) FACEBOOK GROUPS FOR REHOMING ROOSTERS & DRAKES (SA)
- Roosters Rule and Drakes Dazzle - safe home for feathered boys
- Rooster & Drake Rehoming Page South Australia
- Ozzie Rooster Buy, Sell, Swap, Give Away's
You must have a Facebook account to be able to apply for membership to these groups.
- Backyard Poultry Noticeboard
- Facebook Poultry Groups - breed specific pages can be beneficial
WARNING: You will receive calls from those interested in roosters/drakes for consumption. Gumtree listings are most likely to result in that kind of caller. I recommend not to ask if you want a quick sale.
Watch for poultry sales, especially at the beginning of the year when poultry clubs hold their annual sales day. Public are welcome to sell their birds on the day for a cage fee.
See the SA Poultry Association calendar. (Sunday mornings)
- Gawler & Districts
- Strathalbyn & Districts
- Murrary Bridge
- Port Elliot
Country Town Poultry & Livestock Sales
Contact country council offices for sales in the areas.
Willunga & Districts Lions Poultry Auction are held on the LAST SATURDAY of every month on Binney Rd, Willunga.
Turn up on the day - poultry viewing from 8:30am. Auction commences at 9:30am.
It is a common occurrence for rooster buyers NOT to turn up. And it is heart breaking!
Ensure that your buyer is genuine and get contact phone numbers - mobile and landline. Always get two.
HATCHING STAGE PREPARATION
If you are planning on regular hatching from fertilised eggs, then source a buyer ahead of time, if possible.
On a personal note:
The buyer I choose eats my unwanted birds and dispatches them humanely. My best sources come from those with strong European and Mediterranean backgrounds.
My husband and I ask questions ahead of time to ensure that our boys will not be used for cock fighting or as religious offerings. We care about our birds welfare. We distance ourselves from the boys a day or two before pick-up is due to be able to cope with them going. Pick-up is made after sunset so that the boys can easily be caught for transportation.
No sale? No buyer?
If you are not confident to carry out the dispatch, Kapowie outside of Kapunda are able to offer this service.
Ph: (08) 8566 2379