Normally, if a chick (chicken) hatches like this we would correct the Wry Neck with Vitamin E and Selenium in their water source. (WRY NECK is also known as star-gazing in chicks.)
But in Jennifer's case she didn't use the Vitamin E solution as she felt it was a development problem from the hatch.
INSTEAD this is Jennifer's solution:
- Cut a piece of cellulose sponge and made a small diamond-shaped hole in the middle.
- Soaked the sponge in a little water and wrung it out well.
- Slipped the piece of sponge over the duckling's head and allowed the sponge to dry.
- The sponge is then left on for the next 24 hours to help support the head and help correct the neck muscles.
- This duckling was also give an electrolyte solution for the first two days immediately after hatching.
If you are able to, cut the sponge down a little more in height once wet, or it becomes too chunky on the duckling.